Records show that Fakenham Town were formed way back in 1884 their first opponents were Lynn Alexandria whom they defeated 2-1.

Their headquarters back then were at Hempton Green from where they moved to Star Meadow in the town itself in 1889.

The next home was Barons Hall Lawn which they shared with the cricket club until 1996 when they established themselves at Clipbush Park.

A game against a full Norwich City XI to mark the installation of floodlights in 1987 attracted well over 1,000 spectators to Barons Hall Lawn, where Fakenham had played since 1907.

In May 1996 work started on the club’s new ground at Clipbush Park and continued throughout the summer to finish in time for Fakenham to play, and win, their first match at the new ground in front of invited guests and 450 spectators against Tiptree United.

Clipbush Park was officially opened on July 16 1997 by former England manager Graham Taylor, the ceremony being followed by a game against Watford’s senior team in front of over 1,000 spectators.

In July 2006, a long overdue milestone was reached as the clubhouse was used for the first time as Fakenham entertained a Norwich City team in a match watched by over 2,000 spectators.

The start of that season saw virtually all the finishing touches completed, apart from the usual teething troubles.

The club has made progress on the playing field over the years, rising from the North Norfolk League – in which they first competed – via the Anglian Combination, into the First Division of the Jewson League, and the main ambition was achieved in 1991/92 with promotion to the Premier Division.

It had been a long time coming and Fakenham had finished no lower than fourth in the previous three seasons.

From then onwards they established themselves in the Premier Division and in 1998/99 completed their best season by finishing as runners-up to Wroxham.

However, the 2003/2004 season saw them relegated to the First Division after finishing bottom in the Premier Division.

It took the club a few years to stabilise after that blow and they produced a series of mid-table finishes before ending up 17th in 2007/08, then finishing bottom of the First Division for the next two seasons.

Wayne Anderson was appointed as manager in January 2010 and although his early months coincided with the second of those rock-bottom campaigns, Fakenham have shown a continued improvement under his leadership in the years since.

In 2010/11 they finished 14th out of 17, they were 11th out of 16 the following year, and in 2012/13 things really turned around as Fakenham finished fifth, and they were not far off earning a promotion place.

The 2013/14 season was to be the one that Ghosts supporters enjoyed the most with the steady improvement under Anderson's guidance really paying off with a 2nd place finish, and promotion to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division bringing to an end a decade in the First Division.

The Anderson Era came to a close at the end of March 2015, shortly after it was announced he would be joining neighboring Dereham Town as their new Reserve Team manager. His last game in charge being a 1-4 defeat away at FC Clacton.

Neil Jarvis and Robbie Harris took over as joint caretaker managers for the remaining games of the campaign, and were subsequently named as Wayne's successors with Neil being handed the managers job, with Robbie his assistant. Their initial appointment halted a slide of 5 consecutive defeats, and the remaining 7 games saw 1 win, 4 draws and 2 defeats - including clean sheets against runaway champions Norwich United and 3rd placed Stanway Rovers.

Fakenham have also enjoyed notable success in cup competitions and won the Norfolk Senior Cup three times between 1970 and 1974, then completed a very successful 1991/92 by lifting the trophy once more after beating Diss Town in a replay.

They were beaten semi-finalists in 1993 but were victorious in 1994, beating King’s Lynn 4-0 in the final at Norwich City’s Carrow Road.

And the success of the 1970s was matched in 1995 as a third success in the cup in four years was achieved by beating Gorleston 2-1, again at Carrow Road.

Fakenham made it five victories in the 1990s when they returned to Carrow Road and claimed the honours in 1999 with a 4-2 victory over Swaffham Town.

The semi-finals were reached in 2000/01 and 2005/06 but hopes of glory were ended by Gorleston and Norwich United respectively.

Fakenham have also twice been to the final of the Eastern Counties League Cup but are yet to win it.

Their first final appearance came in 1995/96 when they were beaten 4-0 by Halstead Town, who also won the Premier Division that season, and the second was in 2000/01.

It was heartbreak against Lowestoft Town as, after 120 goalless minutes, Fakenham went down 5-4 on penalties.

In 2005/06 the club won the First Division KO Cup for the first time, defeating newly-crowned First Division champions Stanway Rovers in a hard-fought match.

A 2-2 score after 90 minutes saw Fakenham snatch a well-deserved winner in extra time to take the trophy 3-2.

In the FA Cup Fakenham’s best run is to the first qualifying round, something they achieved in 1999/2000 and 2001/02, and they have reached the third round of the FA Vase three times – in 1998/99, 1999/2000 and 2006/07.